Selling your home in today’s economy can be a daunting task. With so many homes on the market it is important to make your’s stand out. Below are 10 simple tips to improve your home’s appeal to potential buyers:
- Spruce up your yard! The leaves, snow, weeds, and other unattractive features are the first things a buyer sees before they even walk into your home. Make sure your home’s curb appeal is inviting. Otherwise buyers may be turned off before they even see what’s inside. Check out some of the landscaping options our customers have done!
- Don’t want to repaint your walls? No problem, but at least wash them! Painting is one way to make your home look fresher, but it does take a lot of time and a decent amount of money. To escape the hours of tedious painting, simply wipe down your walls to remove any buildup of dirt and dust (while you have the rags out you should do the windows too) If there is a leak in the roof then there is no company like the roofing company in Mustang.
- Clutter in your house should be eliminated! You want your home to appear spacious and open. It will look packed and cramped if your old trinkets and antiques are strewn about the house. Though those items appeal to you, they may not appeal to all potential buyers. Temporarily put these things in storage until you can move into your new home!
- Clean your carpets! Potential buyers do not want to see stains from your pet or a spilled glass of wine. Cleaning your carpets can rejuvenate them and possibly save you from having to replace them. You can hire carpet cleaners to spruce up your carpets or buy your own kit and do it yourself!
- Brighten up your home! Increasing the wattage in lights around your house will make the home appear brighter. However, be careful bulbs do not exceed the recommended wattage of the lamps. Also, removing window screens can increase the amount of daylight coming in your home.
- Install modern light switches and outlets! If your home is a little older this trick will make it feel more up to date. The same can be said for updated cabinet hardware, door handles, and light fixtures.
- Purchase new curtains to brighten up your home! You probably already have curtains, but they may be faded from the sun shining on them day after day. New curtains are relatively inexpensive and can greatly improve the look and feel of a room.
- The Kitchen! This is often the most important area of the house to a potential buyer. Making sure that the cabinets are refinished and that there is minimal clutter will attract buyers to a very important area in your house! For ideas on how to spruce up your kitchen check out our Design Center!
- Update the bathroom! There is nothing worse than a bathroom that looks like a port-a-potty from a concert, therefore make sure your bathroom is sparkling clean! Update any out of date shower heads, faucets, or toilet seats. These small details can make a big difference to potential buyers.
- Make your home comfortable! Be sure that the temperature in your home is comfortable (around 70 degrees) for the buyer when they are touring your home. Fresh and clean smells also help to create a pleasing experience.
There you have it, 10 relatively simple tips that will improve your home’s appeal. If you have an existing home to sell and are interested in building the home of your dreams, check out Cypress Homes and Realty!
Categorised in: Home Tips
This post was written by Greg Drusch