To keep your home running smoothly, here are a few tips from us at Cypress Homes…
1. Start with the basics to make sure you have heat when you need it. A furnace inspection is quick and easy and can save you a bundle. Here’s what to do:
- Test the thermostat. Temporarily turn up the heat to make sure the furnace kicks on and warm air blows out within a few minutes.
- Replace the air filter.
- Clear the vents of any obstacles so air can flow freely
2. If you have a fireplace, check that the chimney is free of any debris or nests. Cap or screen the top to keep out unwanted creatures. Also, inspect the damper for proper opening and closing.
3. Next, prevent plumbing freezes.
- Insulate exposed plumbing. If you have any exposed drain or water piping, make sure to at least use foam insulation. You can visit PIC Plumbing Services here to go about this job.
- Drain air-conditioner pipes, and if you’re A/C has a water shut-off valve, turn it off.
4. Doors and windows. The in-flow of cold air from leaks around doors and windows is culprit of high heating bills. Just a FYI: Cypress Homes provides properly installed insulation and draft-free construction. Save yourself a little cash this winter by following these few easy tips:
- On a windy day, close the windows and check for air leaks. If you don’t mind the smell, use an incense stick to get a visual. If the smoke goes anywhere but up, you have an air leak.
- An easy solution to sealing windows is rope caulk. Press it into any joints or hinges where air is leaking.
- An easy fix for a leaky door is to check for weatherstripping on the sides and the bottom of the door. Install new weatherstripping to repair leaks.
Cypress Homes partners with Focus on Energy New Homes Program. We provide the highest quality service to all of our customers. We value this program and believe it is important to keep you comfortable, safe, and energy-efficient.
Categorised in: Home Tips
This post was written by Greg Drusch